Biology of Trauma® Podcast
With Dr. Aimie Apigian MD, MS, MPH
Episode 3: Recognizing And Overcoming The Freeze Response with Irene Lyon, Part 1
On today’s episode, I am interviewing Irene Lyon, a nervous system specialist using somatic work to promote neuroplasticity in those suffering from trauma. She explains how people are becoming functionally frozen from even the most innocuous events throughout their childhood. We now understand that, even in infancy, trauma disrupts our developing nervous systems often as a result of the disillusionment of the mother and child bonding process.
- [1:55] How we have lost our intuition on how to raise a human being
- [4:20] We have the coding in our DNA
- [6:40] Its the daily habits in childhood that shape your nervous system
- [8:40] Functionally Frozen State of Childhood
- [10:25] Stopping the natural flow of the child
- [14:20] When did we start numbing your feelings
- [15:30] Children are not yet functional in a social situation and can’t self regulate
- [17:50] What happens when you don’t attend to the child’s needs
- [21:30] Continuum Theory: Who really needs to do trauma work
- [23:00] Children from tribal communities aren’t having these issues with trauma
- [25:30] Presence is a gift to your children.
Find More From Irene:
Irene Lyon: https://irenelyon.com/
21-Day Tune-Up: https://21daytuneup.com/
How do you know if you have trauma? And if you do have trauma, what is the next step? The good news is, there is a step-by-step process for identifying and healing trauma. Download my step-by-step guide (with a quiz inside!) to see if you have trauma and to identify how to get started. Download your free roadmap here:Steps To Identify & Heal Trauma
You. Calm. Alive.
Be safely guided step-by-step through the essential process for addressing stored trauma in your body.
Disclaimer:By listening to this podcast, you agree not to use this podcast as medical advice to treat any medical condition in either yourself or others. Consult your own physician for any medical issues that you may be having. This entire disclaimer also applies to any guests or contributors to the podcast. Under no circumstances shall Trauma Healing Accelerated, any guests or contributors to The Biology of Trauma podcast, or any employees, associates, or affiliates of Trauma Healing Accelerated be responsible for damages arising from the use of the podcast.
I want to hear from you! I would love to hear your thoughts on this episode and let’s make them constructive! A few requests: Please refrain from including URLs and using yours or someone else’s business name to steer clear of spam. Please do use your personal name or initials.
Let’s have a constructive, positive and productive discussion!