Biology of Trauma® Podcast
With Dr. Aimie Apigian
Episode 12: Where Do We Begin With Stored Trauma? With Alex Howard, Part 2
Today on Biology of Trauma, Alex Howard joins us for part two of our discussion on addressing stored trauma. I learned quickly through my clinical work that before you can address the biological aspect of trauma, you must stabilize the nervous system.
In this episode, Margaret tells her story of how she came to recognize her defense mechanisms that stemmed from childhood trauma that prevented her from experiencing life in the moment. She used the 21-Day Journey to reclaim her life and her nervous system. Once she understood that her sense of safety was in her own control, Margaret’s trajectory shifted into a life of infinite possibilities.
By creating a sense of felt safety internally, you can increase your capacity to withstand external stress. The 21-Day Journey teaches you the tools to stabilize, support, and remain in the parasynthetic state so you can end the cycle of dissociation. When you strengthen your ability to withstand stress, you gain control over your nervous system and develop the ability to choose how you react rather than being trapped by your triggers.
- [1:45] Where to begin with stored trauma?
- [2:40] Reaching the parasympathetic state before addressing the data points of your trauma
- [3:18] Stabilize, support, and then build the skills to remain in a parasympathetic state
- [5:25] Building the nervous system’s ability to withstand stress before addressing the biology
- [7:20] Without clinical experience, theoretical approaches can actually hurt patients
- [20:30] Doing the work with your nervous system allows you to choose how you react
- [22:00] Creating your own sense of felt safety internally before focusing on external trauma work
- [23:50] Margaret’s story of stabilizing her own nervous system
- [25:00] Living life at a distance: going through the motions in full dissociation
- [29:00] Coming to terms with the fact that she did not feel safe in the world
- [31:00] Self-sabotaging her own opportunities in health and beauty to avoid conflict in life
- [33:00] Learning to be present and experience life without dissociating
Find More From Alex Howard: The Optimum Clinic
You. Calm. Alive.
Be safely guided step-by-step through the essential process for addressing stored trauma in your body.
Disclaimer:By listening to this podcast, you agree not to use this podcast as medical advice to treat any medical condition in either yourself or others. Consult your own physician for any medical issues that you may be having. This entire disclaimer also applies to any guests or contributors to the podcast. Under no circumstances shall Trauma Healing Accelerated, any guests or contributors to The Biology of Trauma podcast, or any employees, associates, or affiliates of Trauma Healing Accelerated be responsible for damages arising from the use of the podcast.
I want to hear from you! I would love to hear your thoughts on this episode and let’s make them constructive! A few requests: Please refrain from including URLs and using yours or someone else’s business name to steer clear of spam. Please do use your personal name or initials.
Let’s have a constructive, positive and productive discussion!