Biology of Trauma® Podcast
With Dr. Aimie Apigian MD, MS, MPH
Episode 6: The Role Of Methylation And Epigenetics In Mental Health Outcomes With William Wash, Part 2
Today, on Biology of Trauma, I welcome back William Walsh as we continue our conversation on epigenetic conditions and depression. Depression is generally presumed to be a serotonin deficiency, but that is just one of 5 distinct neurochemical imbalances. In this episode, we explore these five forms of depression and how each requires its own specialized treatment.
Excessive oxidative stress can damage an integral part of our DNA, which becomes the catalyst for an epigenetic disorder. Some individuals are biologically predisposed to these imbalances, while many develop depression due to an epigenetic condition. Left unchecked, an epigenetic disorder can lead to autoimmune disease and even a full breakdown. In part two of this series, William and I share how to predict and prevent a breakdown in a patient suffering from an epigenetic condition.
- [1:50] The 5 Different Biochemical Forms of Depression
- [4:15] Determining what came first; the trauma or the depression
- [6:40] The Role of Methylation in Trauma
- [9:00] OCD and addiction tendencies are not caused by serotonin deficiencies
- [11:35] How We Can Predict a Breakdown
- [13:55] Memory extinction therapy: Treating a memory gone wrong as the cause of OCD
- [15:40] Epigenetic conditions occur when excessive oxidative stress damages guanine
- [16:50] How to Prevent Epigenetic Conditions
- [19:00] Glutothynon, metallothionein, and selenium are essential antioxidants for mental illness
- [22:00] Understanding the difference between the stress response and the trauma response
- [24:10] 3 Most Common Biochemical Imbalances
- [27:00] Excessive copper can cause ADHD, Anger, and even Postpartum depression.
Find more from Dr. Walsh:
Interested in learning more about the brain? I have a free gift for you! There are 3 common biochemical imbalances that can keep you stuck on your healing journey. Learn about what the 3 common biochemical imbalances are and how to address them with my free gift: The 3 Biochemical Imbalances. The 3 Biochemical Imbalances.
You. Calm. Alive.
Be safely guided step-by-step through the essential process for addressing stored trauma in your body.
Disclaimer:By listening to this podcast, you agree not to use this podcast as medical advice to treat any medical condition in either yourself or others. Consult your own physician for any medical issues that you may be having. This entire disclaimer also applies to any guests or contributors to the podcast. Under no circumstances shall Trauma Healing Accelerated, any guests or contributors to The Biology of Trauma podcast, or any employees, associates, or affiliates of Trauma Healing Accelerated be responsible for damages arising from the use of the podcast.
I want to hear from you! I would love to hear your thoughts on this episode and let’s make them constructive! A few requests: Please refrain from including URLs and using yours or someone else’s business name to steer clear of spam. Please do use your personal name or initials.
Let’s have a constructive, positive and productive discussion!