Biology of Trauma® Podcast
With Dr. Aimie Apigian MD, MS, MPH
Episode 5: How Genetics And Epigenetics Affect In-Utero Development, Part 1
Today on Biology of Trauma, I am joined by William Walsh, founder of the Walsh Institute. His mission is to bridge the gap between biochemistry and depression. In this episode, he expands on the interconnected relationship between genetics and epigenetics in utero.
Our biology is a delicate balance between our predisposed genetics and daily behaviors that influence our ever-fluctuating epigenetics; both determine our mental stability. Since our DNA is in a constant state of decay and reconstruction, epigenetics disorders only occur when the reconstruction of DNA is derailed by an emotional or physical insult to the mind or body that can lead to or exacerbate low serotonin depression. This can heavily impede the child’s development in a pregnant patient experiencing this mental state.
Continuous oxidative stress can lead to complications on a cellular level for not just the mother but the baby in utero. Umbilical cord testing proves the link between depleted folate levels caused by oxidative stress and the baby’s development issues. Dr. Walsh shares how you can identify epigenetic disorders and the tools to treat them.
- [2:30] Folates, B12, and Pregnancy
- [5:10] Umbilical cord blood testing confirms a direct influence of folates and B12 on babies’ DNA
- [9:00] Genetics vs. Epigenetics in Utero
- [10:30] Epigenetics define the rate of gene expression, and genetics determines the quality
- [11:08] Epigenetics fluctuate daily, but a sufficient insult can permanently alter them
- [11:50] The Role of Oxidative Stress
- [17:00] An epigenetic disorder happens when the DNA cannot sufficiently recover
- [22:00] Tools for Addressing Low Serotonin Depression
- [23:30] Methionine & Sam-E can shut down the expression of the Reuptake gene called SERT
- [24:45] 5 HTP supplements can raise serotonin levels in the brain.
Find more from Dr. Walsh:
Interested in learning more about the brain? I have a free gift for you! There are 3 common biochemical imbalances that can keep you stuck on your healing journey. Learn about what the 3 common biochemical imbalances are and how to address them with my free gift: The 3 Biochemical Imbalances. The 3 Biochemical Imbalances.
You. Calm. Alive.
Be safely guided step-by-step through the essential process for addressing stored trauma in your body.
Disclaimer:By listening to this podcast, you agree not to use this podcast as medical advice to treat any medical condition in either yourself or others. Consult your own physician for any medical issues that you may be having. This entire disclaimer also applies to any guests or contributors to the podcast. Under no circumstances shall Trauma Healing Accelerated, any guests or contributors to The Biology of Trauma podcast, or any employees, associates, or affiliates of Trauma Healing Accelerated be responsible for damages arising from the use of the podcast.
I want to hear from you! I would love to hear your thoughts on this episode and let’s make them constructive! A few requests: Please refrain from including URLs and using yours or someone else’s business name to steer clear of spam. Please do use your personal name or initials.
Let’s have a constructive, positive and productive discussion!